Dental Assistant job description: In this article, you will read about the job description and roles/responsibilities, and qualifications of a dental assistant.InformationGuideNigeria
A dental assistant assists with several health care responsibilities, such as taking dental x-rays and caring for patients, as well as filing records and scheduling appointments.
Dental assistants are in charge of a wide range of tasks in the dental or dental specialist’s clinic. The work tasks vary depending on the office, the state’s certification criteria, and the individual assistant’s training and certification level.
Dental assistants are accountable for providing high-quality care to patients by carrying out a variety of office, laboratory, and patient care responsibilities. Assisting the dentist in the treatment of the teeth, mouth, and gums typically comprises helping the dentist handle patients, instruments, and supplies during the procedure. In addition, dental assistants are responsible for patient documentation and x-rays.
Read Also: Marketing Manager Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Table of Contents
Responsibilities of A Dental Assistant
- Assists in the delivery of dental care by preparing the treatment room, the patient, the tools, and the materials.
- Procedures are carried out by the Dental Practice Act.
- Follows established processes and regulations to prepare the treatment room for the patient.
- Welcomes, comforts, seats, and drapes the patient in preparation for dental treatment.
- Answers patients’ and workers’ questions and requests for information.
- Instrumentation is assembled by sterilizing and supplying instruments to the treatment area, placing instruments for dentist access, suctioning, and passing instruments.
- Selects, mixes, and places items on instruments and in the patient’s mouth to provide supplies.
- By exposing and developing radiography studies and pouring, cutting, and polishing study casts, this position provides diagnostic information.NYSC Portal
- By constructing temporary restorations and cleaning and polishing detachable appliances, the patient’s appearance and ability to masticate are maintained.
- Maintaining CPR certification, an emergency drug, and oxygen supply, and an emergency phone directory assists dentists in managing dental and medical emergencies.
- Educates patients on oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative care.
- Charts dental care treatments in patient records to document them.Duties of A Graphic Designer
- Maintains patient trust and safeguards operations by keeping information private.
- Maintains a safe and clean workplace by adhering to procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Adheres to infection-control policies and processes to protect patients and employees.
- Completes preventative maintenance needs, follows manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshoots faults, calls for repairs, maintains equipment inventories, and evaluates new equipment and techniques to ensure the proper operation of dental equipment.Dental Assistant Job Description
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by inspecting stock to evaluate inventory level, forecasting needed supplies, placing and expediting supply orders, and verifying supply receipts.
- Utilizes dental resources efficiently by only employing equipment and supplies as needed to complete tasks.
- Contributes to team effort by achieving necessary results.
- Getting patients ready for dental procedures.
- Sterilizing and sanitizing equipment, setting up instrument trays, preparing supplies, and assisting with dental operations all contribute to infection prevention.Romantic Love Message
- Assisting dentists with medical and dental emergencies when needed.
- When necessary, assist dental hygienists with operations.
- Providing excellent patient care.
- Keeping track of treatment information in patient records.
- Dental x-ray exposure from dental diagnostics and care for dental x-ray equipment
- Patients are given information on dental hygiene, oral health, and plaque reduction strategies.
- Obtaining and documenting medical and dental histories, as well as patient vital signs.
- As advised by the dentist, provide postoperative instructions.
- Taking care of dental equipment.
- Making preparatory impressions for study casts and occlusal registers in preparation for mounting study casts.
- Maintaining dental equipment inventory and ordering dental supplies
- Preliminary impressions are used to create temporary restorations and custom impressions.
Roles of A Dental Assistant
- Welcome new patients to the dental clinic.
- Prepare customers for treatments or examinations while guaranteeing their comfort.
- Choose and set up the necessary instruments, equipment, and materials.
- Instruments must be sterilized by requirements.Dental Assistant Job Description
- Help the dentist with 4-handed dentistry.
- Carry out lab tasks as directed.
- Give instructions on dental hygiene and post-operative care.
- Maintain a clean and well-stocked dental room.
- Make appointments.
- Keep correct patient records and help with payment procedures.
- Take and keep a record of the patient’s dental history and updates, as well as their overall health and medication history.
- As needed, assist the dentist by managing supplies and instruments.
- Prepare the necessary instruments and supplies for the dentist’s tables and trays.
- As needed, clean and sanitize devices and prepare treatment rooms.
- High-quality dental radiographs should be taken, exposed, and mounted.
- Ensure adequate equipment and materials are available.
- Follow the dentist’s instructions for patient charting.NYSC Portal
- Welcome patients and direct them to the right treatment room.
- Ascertain that patients are at ease in the dental chair.
- Prepare the patients and the working environment for treatments and operations.
- Dental instruments should be sterilized.Duties of an HR Generalist
- Dentists use hand instruments during operations.
- Suction hoses and other devices are used to dry patients’ mouths.
- Teach patients appropriate dental hygiene.10 Best Samsung Phones in Nigeria and their prices 2023
- Under the supervision of a dentist, process x-rays and conduct lab duties.
- Keep track of all dental treatments.
- Make patient appointments.
- Collaborate with patients on invoicing and payment.
Read Also: Nutritionist Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Dental Assistant job qualifications/skills
- Maintenance of dental health
- Dental technology application
- Infection prevention
- Patient care services
- Creating a secure and efficient environment
- Good bedside manners
- Promotion and maintenance of health
- Medical technology applicationJAMB Result
- Diagnostic procedures are carried out.
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree is preferable.JAMB Portal
- 1+ years of experience at a dental practice
- Experience with EMR (electronic medical records) is preferred, as is knowledge of medical terminology.
Dental Assistant Salary Structure in the USA
How much money can one expect to make working as a Dental Assistant in the United States? As of the 27th of October, 2022, the typical salary range for a Dental Assistant in the United States is between $39,942 and $49,273, with the average salary coming in at $44,741 per year. Several essential aspects can have a significant impact on salary ranges, including education level, professional certifications, supplementary talents, and length of time spent working in a given profession.
Types of Dental Assistant
There are several types of dental assistant jobs available, each with its own set of qualifications and career paths.
Unregistered Dental Assistant (entry-level dental assistant)
Unregistered dental assistants have no formal training and just conduct basic chores like as patient checks, x-rays, and patient water.
The dentist is in charge of them. Unregistered dental assistants are likely to continue at this level unless they acquire additional on-the-job training. In high school, you can come across an unlicensed dental assistant.
Read Also: Accountant Job Description and Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Dental Radiologic Technologist (Dental x-ray license)
Dental radiologic technologists have professional training in dental x-rays and are only allowed to do that task. They are unable to give dental services such as cavity filling or denture fitting. Most states require dental assistants who perform x-rays to be licensed.
Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
Certified dental assistants have rigorous education and training, as well as certification. They collaborate with the dentist to provide patients with care, such as placing sealants on teeth or taking x-rays. They can also diagnose and treat certain oral problems, as well as place temporary fillings.
A CDA certificate indicates that you are a skilled and experienced expert. While a CDA certificate is not required to secure an entry-level job, having one puts you ahead of other applicants in the eyes of your employer.
You must complete an accredited dental assisting program, such as those offered by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, and pass a national board examination to become a certified dental assistant (CDA).
Read Also: Secretary Job Description, Roles/Responsibilities, Qualifications
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
The highest degree of a dental assistant is a registered dental assistant (RDA). You must complete a board-approved dental assisting school and pass a national board examination to become an RDA. To become an RDA, you may need to first work as a CDA.
An RDA is allowed to undertake significantly more procedures than a CDA. An RDA is capable of:
- Diagnose oral diseases, refer patients for therapy, and perform some office operations under the supervision of a dentist.
- make changes to temporary restorationsJAMB Portal
- prepare amalgam for direct application to tooth surfaces or removal
- Provisional restorations are used during the first occlusal preparation of teeth for crowns or veneers.
- install rubber damsBest Methods for Checking Glo Airtime Balance 2023 Update
- Other than bonded retainers, put, remove, or alter orthodontic appliances
- Before inserting removable appliances into the oral cavity, they should be adjusted.
- After polishing, cement-fixed prosthodontic appliances
- Before cementation, polish cast metal indirect restorations.
Read Also: Police Detective Job Description, Roles/Responsibilities and Qualifications
Dental assistants can be divided into several categories based on their education and work experience. By familiarizing yourself with the defining characteristics of each kind, you may better predict which one you’ll fall into. To become a dental assistant, you may be required to fulfilling your state’s unique standards. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please drop your question in the comment area.
Check JAMB Result
Check and Confirm: How much is Dollar to Naira
?Advertise your business on InfoGuideNigeria.com!
From just N4,999 per month, you can advertise your products and services to over 1,500,000 users on our website. Click here to read more.
Information is Power!
Don’t miss any valuable information or opportunity that can change your life, business, and family positively and permanently.
Click Here to Join our Google Group
For Latest updates on News, Jobs & Business Ideas, and Opportunities.
Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, or redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
Proper acknowledgment includes, but not limited to (a) LINK BACK TO THE ARTICLE in the case of re-publication on online media, (b) Proper referencing in the case of usage in research, magazine, brochure, or academic purposes,.
All contents are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA).
The images, except where otherwise indicated, are taken directly from the web, if some images were inserted by mistake violating the copyright, please contact the administrator for immediate removal.
We publish all content with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, please contact us for immediate removal.